Tuesday 16 August 2011

One Box, Add String...

In those far off days of the 1970s, when quite by chance I found myself selling bags, my first boss introduced me to the technical side.
What a bag is...a box with a piece of string attached.
Now, as I was not the most gifted in the sciences, this impressed me as an area in which I could flourish.
Indeed, for the next month, I happily explained to my customers that this was what they were buying.
And clutch bags, being all the rage, had the ADDED BONUS...there was NO STRING TO BREAK!
No wonder they were laughing when I left their shops.
I could cringe...but it was all part of growing up.
No-one taught me how to sell - I just had to pluck up courage [ and a very heavy pair of suitcases ] walk 200 yards from the car-park on a wet day, to find the owner of the shop had forgotten the appointment and gone fishing.
But if I hadn't cut my teeth on that, who knows?
When I decided to open a webshop in 2005, one of the technical team told me he'd done lots of webshops, and none of them had added up to anything.
He now uses our webshops to show new clients how it's done.
For those of you that have read this far, when I write the book about starting and running your own business, the simple truth is that you need to have abundant courage, and you never stop trying.
In fact trial and error is the best teacher there is?
As long as you want to learn!


No comments: